You will chirp with delight when you see how easy it is to make your very own 8×16 LED matrix display for any Feather. This kit combines two of our adorable miniature LED matrices with a FeatherWing driver board. At 0.8″ square, these little 8×8 matrices have got everything a big LED matrix has, but bite sized! Double them up for 128 total bright LEDs.
These are the Adafruit 0.8″ 8×16 LED Matrix FeatherWing Display Combo Packs! We have these combo packs in White, Blue, Green, Red, Yellow, and Yellow-Green.
Normally, wiring up 8×16 matrices would require a breath-taking 24 GPIO pins, which is way too many pins. That’s where this lovely 16×8 LED matrix backpack PCB comes in. It contains a HT16K33 I2C LED matrix driver that does all the multiplexing work for you, and is controlled over the two I2C pins. It’s easy to use, has a portable library that runs on any of our Feathers to turn on/off each LED.
The 16×8 backpack is also great for making scrolling displays or small video displays. In our example, we set it up to display small bitmap emoticons but you can also display text that moves — kind of like a sign in front of a miniature car dealership.
This kit comes with:
- A fully tested and assembled 16×8 0.8″ LED FeatherWing
- 2 x ultra-bright square 8×8 matrices
- 2 x 16-pin header
A bit of soldering is required to attach the two matrices onto the FeatherWing but its very easy to do and only takes about 15 minutes.
- FeatherWing Dimensions: 51mm x 23mm x 5mm / 2.0″ x 0.9″ x 0.2″
- FeatherWing Weight: 6.3g
- Mini LED Matrix Display Dimensions: 20mm x 20mm x 6mm / 0.8″ x 0.8″ x 0.2″
- Mini LED Matrix Display Height w/ Pins: 13mm / 0.5″
- Mini LED Matrix Display Weight: 3g
- EagleCAD PCB files, schematic, Arduino LED Backpack library, and Fritzing available in the product tutorial