WiFi!? On an Arduino!? You shouldn’t have! The MKR1010 from arduino.cc gives the functionality of the Arduino Zero with the added bonus of a WiFi chip. It’s based on the low power Arm Cortex-M0 32-bit SAMD21, like in the other boards within the Arduino MKR family. The WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity is performed with a module from u-blox, the NINA-W10, a low power chipset operating in the 2.4GHz range. On top of those, secure communication is ensured through the Microchip® ECC508 crypto chip. Besides that, you can find a battery charger, and a directionable RGB LED on-board. The MKR1010 is specifically designed for IoT Projects and devices.
Like our Adafruit Feathers, the board includes a LiPo charging connector so you can take your IoT project on the go. This lets the board run on battery power in addition to an external 5V. You can also charge your LiPo battery while running on external power and switching from power source to power source happens automatically. Please note that this board isn’t Feather compatible.
There’s also the usual set of I/O interfaces from the Arduino team, including low-power WiFi with soft AP SSL support with an ATMEL cryptochip for securing communication and the ease of use of the Arduino IDE so you can develop code and program your board. This is a great choice for IoT battery-powered projects.
Get started in minutes by checking out the Arduino documention and tutorials over at https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/MKRWiFi1010
Warning: Unlike beginner Arduino boards like the UNO and Mega, the MKR1000 runs at 3.3V. The maximum voltage that the I/O pins can tolerate is 3.3V. Applying voltages higher than 3.3V to any I/O pin could damage the board. While output to 5V digital devices is possible, bidirectional communication with 5V devices needs proper level shifting
- Microcontroller: SAMD21 Cortex®-M0+ 32bit low power ARM MCU (datasheet)
- Radio module: u-blox NINA-W102 (datasheet)
- Board Power Supply (USB/VIN): 5V
- Secure Element: ATECC508 (datasheet)
- Supported Battery: Li-Po Single Cell, 3.7V, 1024mAh Minimum
- Circuit Operating Voltage: 3.3V
- Digital I/O Pins: 8
- PWM Pins: 13 (0 .. 8, 10, 12, 18 / A3, 19 / A4)
- UART: 1
- SPI: 1
- I2C: 1
- Analog Input Pins: 7 (ADC 8/10/12 bit)
- Analog Output Pins: 1 (DAC 10 bit)
- External Interrupts: 8 (0, 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 16 / A1, 17 / A2)
- DC Current per I/O Pin: 7 mA
- CPU Flash Memory: 256 KB (internal)
- SRAM: 32 KB
- EEPROM: no
- Clock Speed: 32.768 kHz (RTC), 48 MHz
- LED_BUILTIN: 6
- USB: Full-Speed USB Device and embedded Host
- Length: 61.5 mm
- Width: 25 mm
- Weight: 32 gr.