The Gameduino 3X Dazzler is an Adafruit Feather M4-compatible underwing that outputs HD picture and sound to any HDMI display or TV.
The Dazzler is ideal for game designers using CircuitPython, makers who want rich, responsive data and text visualizations, and anyone who wants superb visuals for their CircuitPython project.
The graphics and sound are generated by a powerful BT815 EVE embedded GPU. The shield also has two Wii Classic ports for a plug-and-play game console. With an easy-to-use graphics drawing API and dozens of samples and demos to use as starting points, it’s by far the most powerful Python-powered gaming system available today. There’s documentation and examples for using the ‘bteve` library, a C-accelerated SPI interface library for the graphics co-processor.
Every aspect of the design is open source and hackable:
- the PCB design
- the Verilog code for the HDMI, J1 CPU, and system peripherals
- the J1 CPU running on the FPGA
- the J1’s firmware that drives the Dazzler’s extra features
The board itself has additional «hacking» interfaces: a JTAG port for FPGA reloading, and a UART header for direct chat with the onboard FPGA. Its unique combination of tightly coupled GPU and FPGA opens up new creative possibilities. As a truly open platform, the Dazzler can be anything you want it to be.
Please note: This board is only for use with the Feather M4 Express, and you cannot solder stacking headers into the Feather — just use the regular headers that are included with the M4 Feather!
FEATURES & SPECIFICATIONS
- GPU: BT815 1.1 gigapixel/s embedded GPU with 8 Mbyte flash
- FPGA: Xilinx Spartan-6 LX9 FT256 with 8 Mbyte flash
- Video output: HDMI 24-bit at 1280×720 (720p) with 48 KHz stereo audio
- Storage: microSD slot
- Extra input: two Wii Classic controller ports
- Gameduino 3X Dazzler is an Feather-compatible dev board
- The shield includes the Dazzler Core, which is an SMD module that includes GPU, FPGA, and HDMI
- Hardware interfaces:
- Standard SPI up to 36 MHz for CircuitPython communication
- UART up to 1 Mbps for FPGA connection
- JTAG for FPGA reloading
- All inputs are 5 V tolerant
- Programming: Gameduino library for CircuitPython. Lots of examples.
- Terminal mode: functions as an ANSI terminal with high-speed UART
- Current consumption (typical): 180 mA
- Dimensions: 83mm x 53mm x 20mm
- PCB layouts
- Board firmware
- Gameduino 2 library application layer
Product Dimensions: 83.0mm x 53.0mm x 20.0mm / 3.3″ x 2.1″ x 0.8″