What can you do with the Raspberry Pi, a low cost computer the size of a credit card? All sorts of things! If you’re learning how to program, or looking to build new electronic projects, this hands-on guide will show you just how valuable this flexible little platform can be.
The Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ is the latest board for the minimalist Pi fan. Like the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, it boasts a 64-bit quad core processor running at 1.4 GHz, dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless LAN, and Bluetooth 4.3/BLE. This low-cost Pi uses the same processor as the model 3 B+, but does away with the Ethernet jack and three of the USB ports. It’s still compatible with all Pi operating systems and software, and has the exact same 40 pin GPIO connector and camera/display sockets, so any HATs or Pi Plates or other things that plug into the model B+ will work just the same.
It also has the same HDMI, sound/composite connector, and microUSB connector for power.
Unlike the Raspberry Model B+, there’s only one USB port and no Ethernet jack, but it’s also significantly smaller at 65mm x 56mm if you don’t include overhang from the connectors. The USB port is set in and sticks up quite a bit compared to the very slim Pi Zero, if you’re using HATs or bonnets with the Pi A+ that sit flat, please use some tape or a GPIO spacer to avoid shorts between the USB port and any pads on the bonnet.
Master your Raspberry Pi 3 A+ in easy steps
- Set up your Raspberry Pi for the first time
- Discover great software built for creative learning
- Learn how to program in Scratch and Python
- Control electronics: buttons, lights, and sensors
This book bundle includes:
- Raspberry Pi 3 A+
- Official Raspberry Pi 3 A+ Case
- NOOBS 16GB microSD Card
- 116 pages of guides and tips
Be sure to also check out our awesome Raspberry Pi accessories including:
- Assembled Pi Cobbler Plus — The best way to break out your Pi’s pins into a breakout board. We also carry the Assembled T-Cobbler Plus that makes your breakout pins a bit easier to read but is less compact.
- Adafruit Raspberry Pi A+ Case Smoke Base with Clear Top — this is another great case to keep your Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ safe and sound. Check out our range of A+ cases here! (Note: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ is not compatible with Pibow Royale.)
- 5V @ 2A Switching Power Supply w/ 6′ MicroUSB Cable — An all-in-one 5V 2A + MicroUSB cable power adapter that’s perfect for powering your Pi
- HDMI cable — required to connect a Pi to a monitor and is not included in a Pi computer purchase. We also carry a flat version for a more sleek/stylish look.
- Keyboards and Mice — We have a range of wired and wireless options
- A wide range of accessories and essentials
- Various small displays as well as nice Pi-compatible HDMI monitors in a range of sizes, from 2.5″ to 10″