The MINI.MU is MI.MU’s make-it-yourself musical glove for young engineers. It’s a collaboration between Grammy Award-winning musician-goddess Imogen Heap, creative technologist and children’s author Helen Leigh, Pimoroni, and the MI.MU glove team. This kit uses the micro:bit to create a friendly, simple and fun crafty code experience.
These gloves are a simplified, kid-friendly version of Imogen’s more advanced MiMu gloves, used in her performances
“I didn’t want to ‘hold’ anything but wanted really detailed control. I didn’t want to ‘break the flow’ of the performance or being in the zone by having to walk over to something to interact with it. The gloves are like a second skin. They are part of me. An extension of me. I become hyperreal. I’m not forced into having to be in one place or stopping what I’m doing.” – Imogen Heap
Unlike those advanced gloves, the MINI.MU are lower cost, and easier to make so any kid can build their own. They come with a speaker so they make noise on their own, or you can use the micro:bit’s built in Bluetooth LE radio to send motion data from the glove to a computer, tablet or phone.
We really dig projects that combine science and the arts, especially wearables. Playing around with MINI.MU encourages creative coding and progressing from simple block code and 8-bit tunes to more advanced maker fun.
- Felt with screen-printed glove patterns
- MINI.MU sewable speaker
- Needle and thread
- Alligator clips
- Battery pack
- 2 x AAA batteries
- USB data cable
- Instructions how to make, wire, code, and play
This package does not include a micro:bit — we stock those in the shop so be sure to get one!
Please Note: Suitability will vary based on experience and knowledge, but Pimoroni recommends this kit as follows:
- Ages 6 and up: With full adult-assistance for sewing and coding.
- Ages 8 and up: With some adult-assistance for sewing and coding.
- Ages 10+: Minimal adult-assistance to get started.
- Not recommended for makers aged 5 and below.
- For product support, replacement parts and warranty for Pimoroni products visit the Pimoroni forum or contact Pimoroni directly.