The command interface is compatible with the popular «Matrix Orbital» specifications so this backpack will work perfectly with computer applications or libraries that are expecting a «Matrix» LCD such as «LCD Smartie». We added a few extra commands for the RGB backlight and setting the LCD size. If you don’t want to use the commands, you can just start sending ASCII to the LCD and it will magically appear as typed.
This mini-kit comes with three parts: the Adafruit USB+Serial LCD backpack and a single 16×2 RGB negative backlight LCD, and a strip of header. The LCD must be soldered onto the backpack using the header. This isn’t a difficult task but a soldering iron and solder is required. It’s easy, even for a beginner, to attach the LCD.
We have a full tutorial, including diagrams, testing instructions, and more!
- Compatible with any ‘standard’ 16×2 or 20×4 character LCD as well as any Adafruit RGB LCD.
- Full PWM backlight control
- Supports the following Matrix Orbital commands:
- Baud rate adjust
- Clear screen
- Change splash
- Set cursor
- Move cursor
- Underline/Block cursor
- Create custom characters
- Save custom character bank
- Load custom character bank
- Display On/Off
- Set brightness
- Set contrast
- General Purpose Outputs (4)
- Supports extended Adafruit commands:
- Set RGB backlight
- Set LCD size (up to 20×4)
- 16 characters wide, 2 rows
- Black text on multi-color background
- Built in character set supports English/Japanese text, see the HD44780 datasheet for the full character set
- Up to 8 extra characters can be created for custom glyphs or ‘foreign’ language support